The arrival of Spring means new weather, new wardrobe, and (if you’re smart) a new skincare regimen. If you’re serious about anti-ageing, a change in seasons is a good reminder that your skin needs different types of help throughout the year. Have you just begun to ruminate on the effects of age on your skin? Are you an old pro whose facial rejuvenation program isn’t yielding top-flight results. Whoever you are, Austin Clinic’s guide to skincare will help you make the best choices for you.
Hickory, Dickory, Dock: Start Skincare Says the Ageing Clock
Timing is everything in skincare. Which products you should turn to is a function of skin maturity. As you age, you will graduate to a higher level of care needed by skin that is no longer as strong and resilient as it once was. As your skin changes, so do your priorities in dealing with it:
- Up to age 25 – Prioritise preventative skincare treatments – At this age, a regular use of sunscreen along with exfoliating treatments can delay the need for more aggressive skincare solutions. Look for long-lasting physical sunscreens that remain on top of the skin rather than being absorbed.
- 25-35 – Add defensive treatments – Life’s stressors, both emotional and physical, take their toll on your skin because they deplete the body’s supply of essential antioxidants. Anti-ageing serums with skin-nourishing vitamins like C and E can help to protect and rebuild lost collagen.
- 35-45+ – Add rebuilding skincare treatments – This is when an ageing face can most be at odds with an individual’s dynamic true self. Skin furrows, loose skin, and hyperpigmentation all work together to make a face look older than it needs to. Professional-strength serums with Vitamin A help increase sluggish cell turnover, as well as reduce the appearance of wrinkles and improve skin tone.
Medical Experts: They Know Why Things Work
Now that you understand more fully what you are looking for in a product, it’s time to talk about where you get it. A person recommending you purchase a skincare product needs the training and experience to understand what your skin needs. They should be able to answer your questions and do more than read a list of ingredients off the side of a label. Sadly, many aestheticians are unable to do that. Most seriously, they are unqualified to tell the difference between a harmless freckle and a cancerous mole. The same is not true of the skin experts at Austin Clinic.
“As medical skin experts, we understand the scientific mechanisms that explain why certain formulations are recommended and how the ingredients in those formulations affect skin,” says Dr. Austin. It’s why she believes a consultation with an expert is the first step in creating a safe and healthy anti-ageing skin care regimen. Good health is part of Austin Clinic’s mandate. “We are vigilant in helping patients avoid skin cancer and trained to deal with the risks and side effects common to laser treatments and chemical peels,” says Dr Austin
Austin Clinic Says YES to These Brands
Consumers are inundated with ads for moisturisers, serums, toners, and more on TV, in magazines, on Facebook, and virtually anywhere else their eyes wander. That’s just the tip of the skincare mountain, however. You should see the dizzying amount of catalogues Austin Clinic receives from product manufacturers. How do we choose what to offer in our clinic? We take the same steps we encourage any consumer to take: read the claims, then look for clinical support and scientific research. That’s what gives us the confidence to tell our patients to try:
- Allmedic – A simple, affordable clinical-grade product line designed to repair and protect skin from sun damage and environmental stressors. Allmedic products are free of dyes and problematic allergens, making them ideal for both face and body.
- AspectDr – An exclusive range of high performance, physician-only products expertly engineered with high-performing active ingredients that help to enhance, rejuvenate and cosmetically correct the skin without irritation.
- Avene – A company that offers a full range of hypoallergenic and non-comedogenic products for sensitive skin. All products feature breakthrough ingredients and soothing, softening Avène Thermal Spring Water.
- Colorscience – An award-winning company devoted to preventing skin damage with mineral-rich make-up and products for a clear, even complexion.
- DermaEnergy – Powered by proven active ingredients, DermaEnergy is a skincare line formulated to prevent and reverse ageing by energizing the skin and providing deep, prolonged skin stimulation.
We Love Your Skin as Much as You Do
Austin Clinic invites you to book now and visit us in Wanganella Street soon. Your skin will thank you (and so will we).