Austin Clinic invites you to sit back, relax, and put on a mask…a skin-beautifying fruit enzyme mask. Created by Melbourne’s own Aspect Skincare company, this exceptional mask uses ‘delicious’ ingredients like fruit enzymes and coffee extract to correct:
- Dull skin
- Dehydrated skin
- Uneven skin
- Oily, problem-prone skin
- Ageing skin
The Science behind the Fruit Enzyme Mask
It’s a fact of ageing: the older we get, the slower our body is able to shed old skin cells and produce new ones. This reality contributes to a complexion that looks dull and tired. A fruit enzyme mask can help speed up this cycle. “An enzyme can speed up the rate of chemical reactions,” explains Dr Austin. “This helps skin to refresh itself more quickly and naturally, too.”
The most common enzymes found in skin care products are fruit enzymes. They come in two ‘flavours’:
- Super Exfoliation – When they are applied topically, some enzymes break down the keratin protein in the dead cells on your skin’s surface layer. This reveals skin that is smoother to the touch and more pleasing to the eye.
- Powerful Anti-Inflammation – Other enzymes help protect against the oxidative damage caused by the sun, environmental stressors, and skin disorders such as acne.
The natural action of enzymes works to bring forth newer, plumper cells and to rid the skin of the older, dead cells. A study published in the International Journal of Cosmetic Science found that “significant appearance benefits can be derived from use of exfoliative proteolytic enzymes. Such improvements are the result of changes to the epidermis and dermis and are strikingly similar to results observed with higher concentrations of alpha hydroxy acids.”
3 Fruit Enzymes and Their Benefits for Your Skin
The Aspect mask contains hard-working enzymes from fruits you know and love for their taste. You’ll never think of them the same way again when you realise how beneficial they are to your skin.
- Pineapple Fruit Extract – Bromelain is an enzyme found in pineapples. It has strong exfoliating properties which are useful for smoothing skin and correcting acne scars. On the flip side, if your acne is active and especially if you have been picking at your bumps, bromelain can aggravate your skin even more. “Our team knows how to evaluate skin to determine whether a fruit enzyme mask is a good choice,” says Dr Austin.
- Grapefruit Extract– Grape enzymes target clogged pores and ageing skin. These enzymes contain tartaric acid, which can clean away accumulated dirt and build-up as well as stimulate collagen production. “Tartaric acid is extremely gentle,” notes Dr Austin.
- Orange Peel Extract – Orange peel contain polymethoxyflavones and hydroxylated polymethoxyflavones, bioactives that fight inflammation.
In addition to the above exfoliating and antioxidant powerhouses, the fruit enzyme mask is a veritable salad of facial rejuvenation with:
- Cranberry Fruit Extract
- Grapefruit Fruit Extract
- Raspberry Fruit Extract
And did we mention the coffee extract…
Coffee Extract Gives Face Mask a Boost
There’s more to a great mask than fruit. Our fruit enzyme mask also contains coffee extract. In the same way that coffee energises your body, coffee energizss your skin’s self-healing processes. Extracts can:
- Decrease the appearance of sunspots
- Soften fine lines and wrinkles
- Reduce redness
Coffee is a rich source of vitamin B3 (niacin), too. According to the Skin Cancer Foundation, niacin may be helpful in preventing non-melanoma skin cancers and can possibly prevent other skin growths. “Coffee drinkers will be pleased to know that there is evidence of a connection between consuming coffee and a decrease in photo-ageing effects,” reports Dr Austin.
Ask About Masks
The fruit enzyme mask is just one of a wide array of home-use products we offer that complement our in-office treatments. Austin Clinic invites you to let us hear from you with a question, concern, or problem.